- School Board
- Human Resources and Operations
- Athletic Trainers
- Health and Wellness Program
- Previous Superintendents
- Washington County Community Scholars
- Closing of Schools Brochure
- Free/Reduced Meals Application
- Fee Reduction / Waiver Form
- Child Nutrition Programs
- Out of District / Out of Zone
- PTA Council
- PowerSchool Parent Portal
- Registration and Admission
- School Nutrition Refund/Funds Transfer Form
- Student Accident Claim Form
- Transcript Request
- Work Permits
- Online Services
Wallace Middle School: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, ROALD DAHL!
Tue, October 24, 2017
To celebrate Roald Dahl's 101st birthday, Mrs. Phillips's English 8 classes enjoyed a special read-aloud presentation of "The Landlady" by Roald Dahl. The short story originally appeared in his short story anthology titled KISS, KISS (Knoff, 1960).
Students listened closely to the English voices of the characters so they could make predictions, consider foreshadowing, and evaluate the irony embedded in the story. Dahl's memoirs state that he thought ironic stories were funny and that if they were unbelievable, he didn't do his job as a writer. After talking about how the story is constructed, word choice, and imagery, students collaborated on stories of their own using lines from "The Landlady". The end result was a vast array of stories that included comedy, tragedy, and outright horror. Each group read their stories to the class, and EVERY story was unlike the others! Students also wrote reflections on what they learned about collaborating on a story as well as what aspects of the writing process were most useful when using paper and pencil versus Chromebooks.